Business Summary: Laura Hartung a Registered Dietitian (RD) works with businesses, groups and individuals throughout Greater Boston including; Boston, Brookline, Burlington, Cambridge, Dedham, Chestnut Hill, Framingham, Lexington, Millis, Medfield, Natick, Needham, Newton, Waltham, Wellesley, Weston Wayland, Westborough, Woburn.. Corporate Wellness programs are offered to Fortune 500 companies and small businesses in Massachusetts.
copyright © 2007-
Copyright © 2012 Laura Hartung RD
Protein Plus Fiber -
By Laura Hartung, MD RD
For a faster metabolism, craving control and keeping fuller on fewer calories focus on eating more lean protein and high fiber foods.
Lean protein is proven to help stabilize blood sugar and promote satiety – helping you feel fuller longer. Good choices include fish (salmon, tuna sardines, and cod), skinless chicken breast, 1%cottage cheese, fat free Greek yogurt, eggs and whey protein. High fiber foods fill you up on fewer calories and also aid in blood sugar control. High fiber foods include fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts/seeds and whole grain breads and cereals
One of the major keys to successful snacking is to balance blood sugar and avoid
cravings. Snack on foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. Choose
whole fruits over fruit juices and whole grain breads over white products. The
more whole the food ingested, the harder your body has to work to break it down therefore
increasing your metabolism. Include at least 2-
Avoid or eliminate foods containing refined sugar/refined flour and hydrogenated fats. Eating too many refined and processed foods tend to increase hunger and spike insulin, causing cravings and encouraging excessive consumption!
Protein plus fiber is a hunger suppressor!
Go for 1-
Healthy snack options:
▪ Fat free Greek yogurt (20 grams of protein per cup!), berries and 1 tablespoon of almonds
▪ Whey protein made with fat free milk, ½ banana and 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
▪ An apple or pear with a few tablespoons of almonds or all natural, chunky peanut butter
▪ Chopped salmon or tuna with nonfat mayo (try a couple tablespoons of fat free Greek yogurt) mixed with celery, onions, spices served open faced over whole wheat bread and a slice of tomato
▪ Low fat mozzarella cheese stick with cut fresh veggies or fruit
▪ Hummus with red pepper slices